Friday 6 January 2012

What a Racket!




Well , Happy New Year everyone! Hope you all had a good time over the festive period. So its 2012, the year that London hosts the Olympics which is just about a good enough excuse in my book to post these rather attractive sporty stamps from yesteryear ( 1977, to be precise). Can you spot the odd one out?.... well I'm going to tell you - its squash which isn't in fact an Olympic sport, for reasons I can never really fathom. I wouldn't describe myself as someone who is all that sporty but at this time of the year the common theme is health and fitness. I do play a bit of racketball regularly which is a kind of squash lite and try and do a bit of running and swimming. I'm probably the odd one out round here as I haven't completed a marathon or done a mega swim. Anyway, I liked these stamps at the time and still do. I think they've stood the test of time pretty well - they look almost contemporary. Maybe one day they will put squash in the Olympics - in the meantime we can all look forward to next summer and settling down to watch the Greco-Roman wrestling!

No comments:

Post a Comment